Compaq iPAQ interface with FC6?

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Sun Dec 24 05:21:30 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 16:39 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >> This is a Compaq iPAQ model 3970 and appears to
> >> run a version of Windows.

The Compaq iPAQ runs Windows Mobile. You will need to check which
version of Windows Mobile, because each version has its quirks. There
are altogether 3 recent versions (that I am aware of):
- PocketPC 2002
- Windows Mobile 2003
- Windows Mobile 5 (latest)

These are the major versions with some minor versions in between.

You will need to understand from him what data he wants to transfer from
the iPAQ to the computer. If they are files, you may be able to transfer
them via HTTP, or via SynCE. Be prepared to read the SynCE site, because
there are a few details that can trip you up.

If he wants to synchronize contacts or calendar information, then you
may be out of luck. I'm not sure what the status is regarding SynCE
integration with Evolution, so you may want to read up on that too.

The easiest way, in my view, is to install Windows (vmware?) and Outlook
(which should come with the device) and  ActiveSync and get the data off
the device. That's probably not what a lot of people on this mailing
list want to hear, but at this stage, connectivity to handheld devices
is still a weak spot for Linux. I too own a Windows Mobile device (an O2
XDA IIs) and used to work for a handheld device vendor here in Asia
(where small devices is BIG business!). I'm hoping that SynCE and
Evolution will become more capable soon, but until then the data on my
handheld stays on the handheld.

HTH
pascal chong