OS Future now that Fedora Legacy defunct

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 05:06:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 11:40 -1000, Donald Tripp wrote:
> I concur. I use FC for my desktop / laptop, and Scientific Linux
> (another RHAS rebuild) for our cluster and servers. For high
> performance computing you are not concerned with the latest greatest
> version of xwindows or grub, but more concerned with stability. RHAS
> rebuild projects give us that stability ( I'm still running
> 2.6.9-34EL ). But for my desktop where I am tweaking this, compile
> test programs, evaluating software for other users, its good to be on
> the bleeding edge, even if sometimes you get cut... :-)

I agree with you and your assessment 100%, Donald. The whole deal with
Fedora, as noted in the beginning, that it is a hot test bed for RHEL
and it will be cyclical, ever evolving at the bleeding edge. No where
does the intro to Fedora say that it is a good server candidate.

As I posted before, from what I perceive that I read, FC6 is supposed to
be the last edition in that devel cycle and FC7, or whatever they call
it, should be settled down and hopefully remain that way for a much
longer period of time. It might even be a server candidate, I dunno. I
understand that they haven't gone to all the expense to support Fedora
for us for our pure bumpin' enjoyment, but maybe Rahul will drop it on
us and put all of the speculation to rest. That would be a good thing.
Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net