PAE kernel default with 1.5gb of ram?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Dec 25 07:52:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 12:10:54AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
 > On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 01:01:08 -0500
 > Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
 >
 > > So, I'm puzzled why it got installed.
 >
 > It's a difference that appears to make no difference, as far as I have seen in
 > the little bit of testing that I did with that machine the other day.
 >
 > Is there anything "bad" that could happen with the PAE kernel?

It's a teeny bit slower if you don't need it. The structures describing
pages of memory [known as PTE's] are larger, so take up more RAM, and
take bit longer to fetch, but in practice, you'll usually not even notice
the difference.  It's hard to make it show up even on benchmarks with
modern CPUs.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk