Blocking Spam

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Dec 26 03:51:33 UTC 2006

jdow wrote:
> It needs Archive::Tar?

Yep.  See the comments in sa-update around line 89:

# These are the non-standard required modules
# Use the evals to avoid the annoying RPM requirement check
eval { use Net::DNS; };
eval { use LWP::UserAgent; };
eval { use HTTP::Date qw(time2str); };
eval { use Archive::Tar 1.23; };
eval { use IO::Zlib 1.04; };

I'm not sure precisely what annoying RPM requirement checks they're
trying to avoid, but it worked to prevent rpm from picking up the
dependencies automatically at package creation time.

> How are you installing it? (I jettison the Fedora RPM and use cpan.
> That gives you a "canonical" install. Before removing the RPM save
> the file /etc/init.d/spamassassin. It is useful when it comes time
> to make spamd run.)

I've had good times with the Fedora packages, but I don't stress SA
too much I suppose.  I am avidly opposed to letting CPAN (or
configure; make; make install) drop stuff into my system with only a
hope that it will clean it up.  It's amazing how many badly written
install/uninstall routines you find when trolling through people's
source code. :)

Using rpm packages is much more reliable and accountable for me,
generally.  Of course, it was busted in this case, but it's similarly
busted for a tarball install as well.  It's just that doing the manual
install you may be more likely to catch the warning:

    NOTE: the optional Archive::Tar (version 1.23) module is not
    installed.

      The "sa-update" script requires this module to access tar update
      archive files.

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James