Hardware problem

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Tue Dec 26 10:23:13 UTC 2006

edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
> Which version of FC support S-ATA Hard Disk ?

It's not the disks that are the problem -- it's the SATA adapter, which
is probably integrated into your motherbord, but might be provided by an
add-in card (although you'd probably know if this was the case).

If you can tell us more about your computer, that would help. If you
know a motherboard make and model, that would be better.

Nearly all SATA adapters are supported by the latest Fedora (6), but it
sometimes takes a while for brand new chipsets to get stable support in
the Linux kernel and for a Fedora install image to be built. (Usually,
you only get install images with a Fedora release). So new chipsets may
not be supported in earlier Fedora releases.

(There again, I understand that AHCI is a nice, open, standard
specification for SATA adapters, and a new AHCI-compliant chipset will
probably Just Work.)

But unless you have a *really* *pressing* need to install a previous
version of Fedora, I'd highly recommend going for FC6 anyway. Support
for a particular Fedora install doesn't last that long.

See also
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | And WinCE... there should be BIG RED WARNING STICKERS,
aprilcottage.co.uk | like those IntelInside things. "This product contains