Blocking Spam

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 26 14:05:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 09:08 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Also, I'd strongly recommend training SA's Bayesian analysis, using
> the sa-learn program. SpamAssassin won't use Bayesian analysis until
> it has learnt 200 good ("ham") e-mails and 200 spams.

Isn't that supposed to be the point of the junk/not-junk buttons on mail
clients?

> Bayesian analysis continues to be a *very* good way of analysing
> e-mail, in my experience.

Back when I was still using Windows, I used to use the in-built one that
came with The Bat! mail client.  It seemed to do a reasonable job, and
it was damn quick (unlike the speed of any kind of mail filtering in
Evolution).  Though, before that, I'd knocked most spam off, without any
false positives, with about 12 mail rules.

I read messages from the public lists.