Problems with FC6 and 3com 3CRWE154G72 wireless card

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 14:56:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

With a fresh install of FC-6 I am having some trouble with my pcmcia
wireless card - a 3com 3CRWE154G72. This card uses the prism54 driver,
and I have installed the correct firmware file in /lib/firmware
(isl3890). I can get it to work by brute force, but would really like
to debug this further, and file a bug report under the correct
component - right now I'm not sure where the bug is.

Symptoms:

1) Card doesn't activate on boot, even though the prism54 module is
loaded. Doing a modprobe -r prism54 followed by a modprobe prism54
starts the card succesfully, and all is well.

2) in system-config-network, when I try to add the card under
hardware, after I have selected the card, which is identified as 3com
3c501, I get this error message:

Command failed: /sbin/modprobe  3c501

Output:
FATAL: Module 3c501 not found.

Why is it trying to load a module called 3c501? Obviously that's not
correct. Is this a problem with HAL perhaps? I have looked thru the
fdi files in /use/share/hal/fdi, but nothing leaps out at me.

Despite not being able to add this device under hardware, I can
succesfully add a network device using this card in the Devices tab,
which functions fine, after I've done the modprobe remove and load in
(1) above.

I am a bit in the dark about what governs which modules are loaded
when a device is recognized - is this a hal problem, or a hotplug
problem, or??

Any pointers will be welcome,
Jonathan