kubuntu install takes over my fc5 grub

Jack Byers byersj at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 27 23:28:14 UTC 2006

Jack Byers     byersj at hotmail.com

>basically what i need from this list is what do i do to recreate the grub
>running under fc5?
>i would like to explore that kubuntu install,
>but not at the cost of it messing with my fc5.

Tom Horsley responded:
Much the same thing happened to me with a beta version of opensuse,
I found these instructions to get back control of the master boot record:

Boot off fedora dvd.

Type linux rescue, answer all the questions, might as well skip
mounting any partitions.

grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit
exit
----------------
jack byers reply:
i think i understand that,
except i dont have a fedora dvd, it was installed for me by  a vendor.
can i do same by booting up fc5 as normal and then
do something like
as root
  init 1   ?
and then the grub cmds you give?