Blocking Spam

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 28 04:17:42 UTC 2006

From: "Florin Andrei" <florin at andrei.myip.org>

> Jeffrey Ross wrote:
>>
>> Be forewarned,  spamassassin can be a memory pig, I start it with the
>> following command:
>>
>> /usr/bin/spamd -c -m 20 -d -r /var/run/spamd.pid
>
> Another idea is to run SpamAssassin together with Amavisd-new. This will
> allow a very simple way to also run ClamAV or any other anti-virus
> supported by Amavisd-new.
>
> http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/
>
> http://dag.wieers.com/packages/amavisd-new/
>
> Essentially, the daemon running in this case is not spamd but amavisd,
> plus clamd. SpamAssassin then becomes just one of the libraries used by
> amavisd. Messages are also passed through clamd by amavisd.
>
> I use this setup in conjunction with Postfix and the results are very
> good. SpamAssassin catches the spam proper, ClamAV catches the infected
> messages (and some phishing stuff too), I configured Amavis to just flag
> the spam / infected messages and Cyrus-IMAPd / Sieve is filtering those
> bad messages automatically to a spam folder and a virus folder.
> Every once in a while I do a cursory search on those folders and, if
> there's no false positive, I just nuke all messages. Of course, Amavis
> could be configured to bounce the bad messages (bad idea!), or simply
> discard them. The choice is yours.
>
> Works very well, haven't had issues with email in a very long time.

Wull, my take on amavisd is that is its own punishment. Configuring it
to something akin to the way I have procmail working is a royal pain
in the <sitapon part.> I see way more problems on the SA list with
amavisd, mailscanner, or things like that than I do with procmail. But
then everybody seems to be scared off from procmail. Maybe that's why.

(And introducing sendmail into the feed path can drive people insane.)

{^_^}