sdc suddently sdd?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 28 20:43:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:49:59 -0600
Rick Sewill <rsewill at cableone.net> wrote:

> I finally labeled the drive using e2label -- my disk is formatted ext2
> I think I mounted it once, guessing if it was /dev/sdb or /dev/sdf
> Then I did e2label /dev/sdf ST330083_1A_305
>
> I put an entry in /etc/fstab
> LABEL=ST330083_1A_305   /media/usbdisk          ext2    user,noauto

Yea, that might be a good idea for this drive if the device is
gonna change on me. I generally don't like the LABEL= syntax
(I've had had things like installing an alternate OS "helpfully"
change all the disk labels and render my primary OS inoperable
till I go to rescue mode and fix all the grub and fstab files).

I took a different approach for now, I changed the cron script
that mounts the drive if it isn't mounted before doing backups to
run fdisk -l and look for the 500GB drive (there's only one :-).