Repost: FC6 kernel lockup when ripping CD on laptop

Wade Hampton wadehamptoniv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 01:03:27 UTC 2006

G'day and Happy New Year,

I am trying to rip CDs for my wife's new MP3 player but am having problems
with my laptop. I successfully ripped several without issue but now my
laptop seems to lock up soon after starting the rip process (drives spins
up, then stops, nothing works, have to hard reboot).  The system is FC6 with
updates, x86_64:

Gateway mx6421 laptop, DVD+-R drive, 512M RAM, bcm43xx wireless
  - wireless using kernel driver (another mail about this one)

Fedora Core 6, 2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 #1 SMP, grip-3.2.0-14.fc6, x86_64
  - all updates applied, this was an upgrade from FC5, took 20 hours (prev.
report)

Note, the sky2 driver for this laptop finally works (bug reported to RedHat,
now apparently fixed, with FC5 and earlier kernels the sky2 driver would
stop working after a few minutes).

Any help would be most appreciated.