copy and tar performance?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 29 07:13:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 09:40 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> if you use LABEL= to refer to your partitions, be aware that moving
> them from one machine to anoher is likely to cause confusion with
> duplicates that is difficult to fix.

Yes.  I had to wonder why the installation routine doesn't allow you to
set your own labels.  Sure, it might automatically use /1 instead of /
if it detects a / label already on your system.  But I find that scheme
quite ambiguous.  It'd be useful if I could supply a prefix, at least,
so that I can manually label a drive (with texta, for instance), and all
partition labels include that name.

e.g. I call the drive fred, and it gets labels like /fred, /fredhome,
/fredvar.  Or it might use a serial number, something that's that
written on the drive and can be read when it's not in a computer..