qwerty layout shortcuts - drifting away from original topic

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 29 15:30:11 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> typing.  There's too much gross hand movement - you cannot do it fast.

Ed Greshko:
> You can't, I can.

I would challenge anybody to prove that they can move their whole
forearms, wrists and hands, into a new position, quicker than moving a
couple of fingers.  It's a physical impossibility.  And I don't just
mean humanly physically impossibly, I mean physics.  Large objects
versus small objects with inertia to work against.

Likewise, for hunt and peck.  Individual abilities aside, you're never
going to see a two-fingered typist, hunt and peck or otherwise, beat a
touch typist using all 10 fingers at 100 wpm.  It's another physical
impossibility.

As to topic drift, that's why we have threading and subject lines.  I've
changed the subject line, but don't have a client that lets me break the
references headers (it's been a while since I've seen one that lets you
manually do such things).  And only those desiring to participate
actually do so...