Re-Post: 2.6.19 kernel won't boot due to "VolGroup00" not found

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 30 01:30:58 UTC 2006

On Friday 29 December 2006 16:35, Ed Hourigan wrote:
> [...]
I am running 2.6.20-rc2 with the last patch from linus for file system
corruptions while running a random access download program such as
azureus.  But it was a full FC6 install on a separate drive, so I was
coming from an FC2 install that did not use the LVM.  When doing it the
first time for a new kernel from kernel.org, there were several items
related to LVM that I had to turn on in a make xconfig run or 3 before I
got it right, but it can be done.

The thing that really burns me is exactly how damned slow gcc-4.1.1-30 is
on FC6 compared to the version on a fully updated FC2.  Whereas
my ./makeit script ran to completion on FC2 useing gcc-3.4.4 in about 11
minutes, its now, with gcc 4.1.1-30, taking around 33 minutes to build a
kernel that's maybe 100k bigger (I don't have the old /boot partition
mounted at the moment so that's only a SWAG) because of the LVM stuff.

How much the LVM has to do with that, I have no comparison data, but I
suspect its very little.  However if I had it to do over again, I'm not
sure I would enable the LVM stuff.  It is I believe, partially to blame
for a rash of tar not staying on filesystem problems we've heard reports
of lately on the amanda list.  Again, I have no proof, just a gut feeling
about it, but I have not been personally bitten.  That thumping sound in
the background is of course me, knocking my head on wood...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)