[Fedora] Problems installing Fedora core 6

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Dec 30 05:53:31 UTC 2006

David Vanfleet writes:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to get Fedora core 6 installed on my system and I'm having some
> problems. I got through the initial installation, got to the part where it
> tells me to remove the media and reboot the system to continue. When the
> system reboots it locks up at the time that X windows starts (or shortly
> after). I see the "X" curser for only a moment then it goes away and I get
> a blank screen and nothing else. I then booted up the system in "rescue"
> mode and manually started X Windows without any problems (running startx).
> I'm upgrading this system from Fedora Core 4, which has been running
> without problems for some time.
>
> Any ideas what could be happening here? Any help here would be
> appreciated.

Could be many things.  The first thing to try is to boot into run level 4,
log in as root, and run "system-config-display --reconfig".  This will give
you a fresh X configuration.  You can boot into run level 4 by pressing 'E'
at the grub prompt, instead of pressing <Enter> or waiting for grub's
default timeout to expire, pressing 'E' again to edit the kernel boot
arguments, and appending <space>4 to the end, then <Enter>, then 'B' to boot
the kernel.

If that doesn't fix it, boot into run level 4, and look in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues (don't use the rescue disk again, starting X
in rescue mode will wipe out Xorg.0.log).

If you're using non-free binary blobs from Nvidia or ATI, remove them, and
reinstall all X rpms, to fix any breakage.