Can't boot after upgrade to FC6

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Dec 30 13:19:07 UTC 2006

zephod at cfl.rr.com wrote:

> I noticed from reading the grub manual
> (http:\\www.gnu.org\software\grub\manual.htm#Features) that it does
> not list ext3 as one of the supported filesystem types.
>
> Is this my problem or is the manual not up-to-date? If this is the
> problem how do I change the boot partition from ext3 to ext2 and how
> did my FC5 system boot?
>
> The other thing that looks odd to me is that the partition table is
> msdos. Is this correct?

I don't think either of these is relevant;
most people will have all Linux partitions ext3,
and parted (print) normally says the partition table is msdos.

I would try running grub interactively;
type "c" when the grub prompt appears,
and then "root = (hd0,0)" or "root = (hd1,0)",
and see what grub reports.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366