Mail senders' address extraction

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 30 19:11:18 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 14:00 -0600, Robert wrote:
>> The SPAM situation has gotten to the point that I'm gonna start doing
>> permissive filtering -- mail from anyone not specifically allowed gets
>> auto-dumped. The idea is to get a list of everyone who has mailed me
>> in 2006 and decide who of those on that list I'd like to hear from in
>> 2007 and beyond.
>
> Reminds me of those people I know that tell me, "I have a telephone, but
> I never answer it," though they expect anyone that they call to answer
> theirs.
>
> It's a seriously flawed approach.  How does someone new contact you?  Or
> someone who's had to change addresses.  They can't, they can't even
> arrange to contact you.

Surely, Tim, you must realize that your 2nd paragraph describes EXACTLY
what I want.  Think "--state ESTABLISHED" and you can get a really clear
picture of what I'll have in place when the ball falls at Times Square.

I had hoped someone might have done a nifty little script for examining
existing mail but by adding another grep, a sed here, a tr there and
some options for sort, my original one-liner does all I need.

Cheers