Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 30 23:31:16 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 10:08 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Timothy Murphy writes:
>
> > What is the safest way of allowing access to a home system
> > from a remote computer?
> > I am running Fedora-6 and shorewall.
> >
> > Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Run ssh on a non-default port.
>
> Turn off passwords.  Use ssh certificates.

There is something wrong with just saying use ssh. One assumes that the
home machines are masqueraded behind a router. It seems to me that one
must configure that all packets arriving at the router address be routed
to a particular home machine address.
Rebellion lay in his way, and he found it. -- William Shakespeare,
"Henry IV"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net