usb wireless

Edward Dekkers edward at tdcs.com.au
Sun Dec 31 00:04:30 UTC 2006

John wrote:
> Edward Dekkers wrote:
>
>> john s. wrote:
>>
>>> I picked up a usb wireless unit (Trendnet, model #TEW-424UB) a while
>>> back, to use with my laptop. I've tried the unit with 6, w/o much
>>> luck. Has anyone else picked up this brand and have some tips? I'd
>>> like the wireless to work while at the airport, coffee shops and etc.
>>>
>>>                John
>>>

>> Find out the chipset first.
>>
>> lsusb may come in handy.
>>
>> Ed.
>>
>  Will have to look; picked up a reg wireless card for the laptop the
> other day. I can see the card in the hardware listing, but I can't get
> the network manager(?) to see it, so I can activate it.

You will STILL need to know the chipset, whether it's USB, PCI, PCMCIA
whatever.

Drivers in Linux are far more based on chipsets than individual brands.

Common wireless chipsets are Atheros (madwifi drivers), Broadcom, Prism,
Intel etc. A lot work with ndiswrapper, Intel has a firmware you have to
load I believe.

They all need different drivers.

This is why I told you before to find out the CHIP SET.

for your USB device, you can use lsusb to get the chipset name, for your
PCI (PCMCIA?) card I think lspci will do it.

Just to repeat - don't bother with anything until you've found out the
chipset you have.

The next step is loading the driver.

Regards,
Ed.