Regular volume /dev/hde1 has flesystem, how to determine and manage volumes in LVM?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Dec 31 01:56:51 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:

>> > Disk /dev/hde: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
>> > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
>> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>> >
>> >   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>> > /dev/hde1   *           1       10000    80324968+  83  Linux
>> > /dev/hde2           10001       19457    75963352+  8e  Linux LVM
>>
>> If you are trying to diagnose the LVM partition, there is a visual tool
>> for setting up LVM partitions and it will also show visually what the
>> partitions are made up as.
>>
>> Go to System/Administration/Logical Volume Management on the GNOME menus
>> and try to launch the program.
>>
>> The first partition is regular partition and should be mountable with
>> making a directory for the volume  and mounting it with
>> mount /dev/hde1 /mnt/MyCreatedDirectory
>>   whatever that would be.
>
> Thanks, Jim. hde1 mounts correctly. The visual LVM tool indicates no
> filesystem in hde2.

If you want to be sure that nothing exists on the volumes in the LVM,
send a new posting with the title related to activating LVM and finding
out how to mount these partitions. I believe that pvscan will show you
the physical volumes contained in the Logical volume. lvscan should show
you the Logical volumes.

I avoid LVMs mostly so I know little about managing the LVMs.

Jim

--
Posted in windows, be cautious.