DVD Playback problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Dec 31 09:46:51 UTC 2006

On Sunday 31 December 2006 04:35, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> On 12/31/06, Fred Erickson <frederickson at iname.com> wrote:
> > I was having basically the same problem with a DVD player in my machine
> > (FC4 now FC6), replaced the drive and everything has been fine since.
> > I've seen a number of DVD drives fail but rarely a CD drive.
>
> So you think it's hard ware then?  I had assumed that since any
> specific dvd disc either always fails or always works and the cd's a
> cd-r's always work that it was a software problem with the OS not
> recognising some dvd's for some reason.
>
> Oh well, time to buy a new drive I guess...

Just my thoughts -

Maybe some of those DVDs are marginal?  Home-burned ones, for instance, show
that problem for me.  If I fail to clean the burner reasonably regularly I
get disks that can't be read even though the burn appeared to work.  Perhaps
some of the DVDs are slightly worn or damaged in ways not obvious to the
naked eye.  CDs, of course, don't pack the data as tightly, so may be easier
to read.

Just thoughts and theories - no expert knowledge :-)

Anne