Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 31 18:31:29 UTC 2006

Ahmed Hussain wrote:
> Hi ,
>

> Sorry I'm a newbie , what if I my router doesent have a public IP
> itself. I mean to say my provider provides me a 192.168.1.x of it's network
> and internally I have a lan. will I ever be able to access me personal
> system via router [provided my ISP provider will not change any of it's
> settings from his end ] . wondering if any kind of dynaDSN or peer to peer
> can help me to do that .
>
> Any Suggestions ?
>

> Regards,
> Ahmed Hussain

Is the 192.168.1.x address the External interface of the router, or the
Internal?  If it is indeed the External interface, then your provider
probably has you behind their own NAT device that you won't be able to
configure.  One option at that point would be to see if they provide a
different service level to give you a real IP.  If not, then your only
option would be to use a service that provides a third party "connection
gateway" server.  One example service would be Hamachi.

--
William Hooper