Errors with Soft RAID 5 Array, no disks off line

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Dec 31 23:55:16 UTC 2006

vamythguy wrote:
> I have a 4 disk soft RAID-5 array and I'm receiving a ton of these
> messages in the system logs:
>
> Dec 31 17:04:38 tibeaux smartd[2384]: Device: /dev/sda, 3 Offline
> uncorrectable sectors
> Dec 31 17:04:39 tibeaux smartd[2384]: Device: /dev/sdd, 48 Currently
> unreadable (pending) sectors
>
> Best way to fix this, or is it not a problem?
It is a problem. This means that both drives are starting to develop bad
sectors. Since you have raid 5, you can replace the disk and let the
array rebuild itself. Or keep using those disks, but add a hot spare
disk to the array.
I usually replace the disks as soon as I see smartd complain about them,
but if you wait too much , you risk loosing your data.. Last time I
replaced a disk in such condition, it had over 1600 uncorrectable
sectors, making it impossible to transfer the data to the new disk via
DD, pvmove, cp... Luckily it was just a proxy/gateway/vpn server, so a
reinstall wasnt difficult.

--
Pedro Macedo