FC4 burning DVD I/O issue

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Feb 2 01:09:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 23:51 +0100, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to on-the-fly burn a DVD (lack of place on my notebook) with
> XCDRoast.
> I have a up to date FC4, with testing repo enabled.
> I installed cdrecord-ProDVD from here:
> http://fedoranews.org/tchung/cdrecord-ProDVD/20060611/

With testing repo enabled you are actually using FC5T2+  and should be
asking on the fedora-test-list.

> I try to burn the DVD and then:
>
> 	[....]
> 	Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> 	Waiting for data on stdin...
> 	SCSI buffer size: 64512
> 	Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> 	cdrecord.prodvd: Cannot allocate memory. Cannot get SCSI I/O
> 	buffer.
> 	Driveropts: 'burnfree'
> 	[/]
>
> Looking at google, I found this:
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0408.1/0301.html
> Seems to be a 2.6.9 issue but i am using 2.6.14 on my FC4.

I use k3b with no problems.
Using xcdroast I believe you need to use growisofs first to create the
image. K3b does it on the fly.

> What to do?
> I try to burn a 4.7Go DVD. Must I really prepend strace? how?
> Thank you.
You cannot put 4.7GB data on a DVD.  It actually holds about 4.3 - 4.4
GB of data.