needed help on MINICOM

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:28:09 UTC 2006

> Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 14:32:49 +0900
> From: Gowri Satish Adimulam <gowri at bitel.co.kr>
> Subject: Re: needed help on MINICOM
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>

> iam logged on as superuser.
>
> I have pasted the permissions  for all ttyS0 ..s3
>
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 65 Feb  2 14:11 ttyS1
> [root at localhost dev]# ls -lrt ttyS2
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 66 Feb  2  2006 ttyS2
> [root at localhost dev]# ls -lrt ttyS3
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 67 Feb  2  2006 ttyS3
> [root at localhost dev]# ls -lrt ttyS0
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 64 Feb  2 14:30 ttyS0
>

> I have also tried to ttys1 and ttys0 , but same result .
>
> do any of you have sample DF1 file , iy yes please send it to me.
>
> reagards
> Gowri
>

> On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 23:20 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Gowri Satish Adimulam wrote:
> > > Hi ,
> > > Iam try to use minicom as simple com-port, it is connected to embedded
> > > system board via RS 232 cable.
> > >

> > > in minicom ->serial port setup i have set as
> > >
> > > ttyS3,
> > > baud rate 57600 8n1 which in acordance with embedded system.
> > >

> > > When my embedded systme boots up , there should  be some messages
> > > displayed on my com port , but unfortunately its not happening.
> > >
> > > i have verified the same setup in windows using hyperterminal it is
> > > working fine.
> > >
> > > do i need to do any thing more in the setup.
> > >
> > > Thanks in Advance.

Hi Gowri!

A couple of thoughts.  When it is connected with Hyperterminal, look into
the hyperterinal com port settings.  The baud rate, data bits, parity, stop
bits, hardware flow control, and software flow control settings.  In minicom
these appear to be under ^A P for the baud rate, stop bits. and parity - and
a ^A O selecting Serial Port Setup to set the hardware and software flow
control.

Good hunting!

Tod