hylafax changing destination

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:48:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 15:13, azeem ahmad wrote:

> >If you are using sendmail, you should be able to used
> >'plussed' addresses. The local (username) part of the
> >address to the left of the plus is the base.  Sendmail
> >will look for .forward files in that user's home directory
> >in the form of .forward+xxxx where xxxx is the part after
> >the plus. If it doesn't find a match, it looks again
> >for a standard .forward and then performs a normal delivery.
> >That means you should be able to use an address like
> >faxmail+phone-number at yourdomain.com and have faxmail
> >alias parse out an arbitrary phone number.  I think
> >procmail already gets the plused part as an argument
> >during delivery so if you run the command out of .procmailrc
> >you'd already have it - otherwise it can be difficult
> >to interpret mail headers since you can't tell if a
> >certain delivery is for a To:, or CC: or something not
> >even in the headers.
> >

> i really couldnt get anything out of it.
> can u plz explain it in simple

"Simple" and "sendmail" don't really go together and
procmail is even harder to explain.  Basically if
you create a user named faxmail and create a
.procmailrc file in his home directory to process
his incoming mail, adding somthing like
ARG=$1
at the top of the file will store whatever
was between the + and the @ in the address in the
variable ARG which you can test and substitute in
subsequent commands.   I don't recommend using this in
production without at least a basic understanding of
procmail (the sendmail side will just work with the
defaults).  Procmail syntax isn't pretty.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com