e-mail and web safety

Tony Dietrich td at transoft-adsl.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 22:38:46 UTC 2006

Michael

This isn't really the place to describe WHY thats all you need, but ....

Windows machines are vulnerable because
1/ The OS code was never written in a way that made the systems secure
2/ Any code executed on a Windows machine can access almost every piece of
data on that machine, with no regard for who owns that data.
3/ WIndows machines have a very limited concept of file ownership, or indeed
of process ownership.

Linux was written as a network aware OS from the ground up.  It is designed
with a multi-user enviroment in mind.
Linux knows who owns what file, and won't allow anyone else to have access to
that data unless it is specifically told otherwise, by the owner of that
data.
Linux knows who is running a program, and won't allow that program access to
anything that it (or the person running that program) hasn't got permission
to access.

So the biggest protection for a Linux user is that anyone writing a
virus/trojan/worm knows that even if they successfully get through the basic
defenses of the system, ALL they can infect are a few files owned by the same
user that downloaded the file/opened the email.  They cannot, without
considerable effort, get into that system's OS to do any real damage.

The programs Dan told you about are normally enough to protect you from almost
anything you stumble into.

If you are really security conscious, you can go a lot further, and set up a
tightly controlled enviroment with spam checkers, anti-phishing systems, etc.

You can even install a virus checker .. but you should be aware that (unless
I'm totally out of date) there has only ever been 1 (ONE) virus released into
the wild that could attack a Linux system .. and that was a controlled
release of a virus that had no payload.

Most Linux-based systems with anti-virus software installed have it installed
because they act as a mail/web gateway for Windows based clients.

Email me off list if you need further clarification.

TD