Wireless DWL-G510 driver on fedora4

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Fri Feb 3 00:28:10 UTC 2006

Luciano Costa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to install and configure the driver for DWL-G510 d-link on
> fedora 4. Fisrtly, I installed following rpm packages:
>
> madwifi-kmdl-2.6.14*
> madwifi-0.9.6.0-18*
>
> reboot
>
> and when I restarted the machine, it search the wireless driver and
> shows the message:

> Error for wireless request "Set mode" (8B06)
> SET failed on device ath0; Invalid argument
>

> When I see the configuration in the system setup of network  manager,
> it's  shown this:

> ath0(Atheros Communication, Inc..Unknown device 001a)
>

> What should I do ?!?!
> Have someone here that installed wireless driver for DWL-G510 (Atheros's
> driver) on fedora  ?!?!

I use the "old" version of Madwifi and build from source from
http://www.madwifi.org.  I've not been able to get the "madwifi-ng"
version to work.

Each time I install a new kernel, I have to boot into single user mode
and use make;make install to update the drivers with the stuff needed
for the current kernel, then reboot into normal mode.

The error you report above can be fixed in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0  by adding "RATE=Auto" to the
file, replacing any other "RATE=" line.

--

   Steve