Remote code and compile with GUI from Windows to Linux?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:28:18 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 01:05 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I have a multi-programmer project coming up. The application will be
> > compiled, run and tested on a remote Linux box. I myself use FC4 + KDE
> > + KDevelop, but the others with whom I will be working using Windows +
> > Visual Studio 2k3. Are there any higher level (for lack of a better
> > term) ways for them to code their share of the project from Windows
> > besides Putty + Vim/Emacs ?
> >
> > Your suggestions will b e much appreciated.
> >
> > Arthur
> >
> > --

I hadn't considered either such an approach. Was originally hoping a Windows
program that was up to task. But this, this sounds good . . .

I had a similar problem with my own development team.
> I did the following:
> 1. I configured multiple VNC account on the target FC4 machine. All
> accounts were configured to use KDE.
> 2. I created an SMB share for each user.

This I don't get, if you are doing VNC,  what is the use of the SMB share
per user?

3. I installed vnc-client on each Windows machine, and configure Windows
> to use the SMB share.
> 4. I gave them a short how-to on how use to VNC, Kate/Anjuta/KDevelop
> and Makefiles.
> 5. I create a smart generic make file for the project, making it easy
> for them to add/remove files to the main project.

This will be a C++ project (mainly) how does your smart generic makefile
help the project? My experience with makefiles are limited to what KDevelop
generates for me.

Now, that they are slowing getting into Linux, I plan to migrate the VNC
> to an X-server. (Either X-win or Exceed) and give each of them his own
> Linux machine to manage.

I'll have to lookup X-win ad Exceed, if at least for future reference.

Gilboa

Thanks.