Remote code and compile with GUI from Windows to Linux?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:38:37 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 04:35, Alan Peery wrote:
> [snip]
> A couple of additions to this:
>
> You can run Cygwin X in two different modes.  If you start it
> with 'X -query host' you get a graphic login prompt followed
> by a full X desktop in what appears to be one large MS window.
> If you run it in 'X -multiwindow' mode instead, you do not
> get a root window or window manager.  Instead, if start
> individual remote applications (usually via ssh) the each
> open in what appears to be their own MS window and mingle
> with local apps on the normal desktop.  There is a CD that
> you can run with no installation http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/
> although if you like it you probably should install a current
> version and keep it updated.

 'X -multiwindow' sounds interesting, wasn't aware of it previously.
However, is it worth the additional installation/setup work? In your opinion
do you think it would be more intuitive to work with?

Also, if by 'remote', you mean over a low bandwidth or
> internet connection, freenx/NX will give much better
> performance than vnc or normal X.

Bandwidth should not be a factor, as my machine and the tartget machine to
resideson a university lan with some Cisco routing between the LAN and the
WWW. I expect the part of the team of the lan can vpn into it and access the
machines.

But tell me, I seem to remember NX not being totally free, I'll be reading
up on it tonight for sure, but can you brief me on just now free it is?

Thank you.