Remote code and compile with GUI from Windows to Linux?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 19:21:26 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 11:38, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >         http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/
>
> >  'X -multiwindow' sounds interesting, wasn't aware of it previously.
> > However, is it worth the additional installation/setup work? In your
> > opinion do you think it would be more intuitive to work with?
>
> If these are windows users and will be running other windows
> apps at the same time it is fairly seamless - and with the
> -clipboard option you can cut and paste text between the
> linux/windows windows.  The live CD runs in this mode by
> default so it is easy to test.  You could probably build some
> windows icons to launch the apps transparently.  On the other
> hand if you are a Linux user stuck on a Windows box, you'd
> probably prefer the XDCMP login and full desktop.  There is
> yet another alternative, which is running an X window manager
> on the windows side but I've never liked that and it doesn't
> make much sense without local X apps.
>

> >         Also, if by 'remote', you mean over a low bandwidth or
> >         internet connection, freenx/NX will give much better
> >         performance than vnc or normal X.
> >
> > Bandwidth should not be a factor, as my machine and the tartget
> > machine to resideson a university lan with some Cisco routing between
> > the LAN and the WWW. I expect the part of the team of the lan can vpn
> > into it and access the machines.
>
> X needs low latency more than bandwidth, so the speed may
> depend on the number of hops and delay introduced by the
> VPN.
>
> > But tell me, I seem to remember NX not being totally free, I'll be
> > reading up on it tonight for sure, but can you brief me on just now
> > free it is?
>
> Nomachine.com has a commercial version of the server but gives
> the clients away.  Freenx is a GPL'd version of the server that
> should be in the fedora extras repository.  It generates a
> unique key for each installation so you have to remember the
> step of adding the key to each client.  I've had trouble
> reconnecting to sessions and haven't tried the advanced
> features like sound, but it handles the things a normal X
> session will do and is much more usable on slow or high
> latency connections.
>
> You didn't mention source control - are you planning to use
> cvs or something?  If so, you don't need all the developers
> on one machine - and if the app is cross platform they could
> just develop with their native tools.
>
> No I didn't (yet) mention source control. I have in mind cvs or
subversion. I have been able to make a desicion yet, partly due to my
ignorance on their contrasting pros and cons. I am only aware that cvs seems
more popular, and that I am sure that FC will support it via default yum
repos.

How would source control enable the devlopers to be on multiple machines
though, I would assume they need access to the remote machine where g++
lives to compile/test, no?

Currently the app is intended to be solely linux based (eventually I'll
custom build a lite kernel) as the intended hardware is to be small and as
such likely low spec. So no gui.

Hey, thanks for all the information thus far.