Font warnings with xfig & xdvi on an FC4 x86_64 machine

Do-Hoon Kwon kwon22 at ieee.org
Sat Feb 4 16:41:00 UTC 2006

Hello,

I fresh installed FC4 on an AMD Opteron 144 machine and applied
all the updates. When I start xfig or xdvi, I get these warnings:

[dhk at dhkpc ~]$ xfig
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
[dhk at dhkpc ~]$ xdvi
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
[dhk at dhkpc ~]$

I have the following RPM packages related to fonts installed:

[dhk at dhkpc ~]$ rpm -qa | grep font | sort
bitmap-fonts-0.3-4
bitmap-fonts-cjk-0.3-4
bitstream-vera-fonts-1.10-5
chkfontpath-1.10.0-4
fontconfig-2.2.3-13
fontconfig-2.2.3-13
fontconfig-devel-2.2.3-13
fonts-japanese-0.20050222-3
fonts-korean-1.0.11-4
fonts-xorg-100dpi-6.8.2-1
fonts-xorg-75dpi-6.8.2-1
fonts-xorg-base-6.8.2-1
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-2-100dpi-6.8.2-1
fonts-xorg-ISO8859-2-75dpi-6.8.2-1
fonts-xorg-truetype-6.8.2-1
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-13
tetex-fonts-3.0-9.FC4
urw-fonts-2.3-1
xorg-x11-font-utils-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2

and an additional font package ghostscript-fonts-std-8.11.tar.gz
distributed with AFPL ghostscript 8.53.

I did some googling, but I couldn't find any solution. Looks like it is
related with the font service, but the strange thing is that the warnings
do not say which specific fonts are having trouble.

Can anyone reproduce these warnings? Any pointers to the resolution?

Thanks in advance.

Do-Hoon Kwon

P.S.: I had this problem posted on fedoraforum.org for a week with
        no luck.