Problems with GRUB

Glenn Tober glennt at palmnet.net
Sat Feb 4 20:51:45 UTC 2006

I have an ASUS P5GDC mother board with SATA drives and the usual other
stuff.  A while back I successfully installed WXP and FC3 and ran both using
a GRUB boot prompt without any problems whatsoever.  Recently I got the FC4
disk set and installed it without problems. Well, afterwards, there are few
drivers and such you need and in the process of getting these, and I think
doing something to grub.conf which I should not have, the whole system boot
went south.  I could not recover it with the rescue disk.

OK, so next I restored WXP using the fixmbr utility, and WXP is fine.  I
have now reinstalled both FC3 and FC4 several times and grub does not
install properly in all cases.  There is some screen activity in place of
the "grub stage1 loading' but there is no dual boot choice of any kind and
no evidence whatsoever that the stage1 boot routine is actually on the MBR
and trying to load.

I have a root partition which I choose not to reformat, and a /usr partition
which I always reformat during each FC install.  I am doing a plain vanilla
installation of a default workstation. I choose the grub boot loader option
the same way each time.  If it is not clear, what worked fine one time
before for both FC3 and FC4 is now broke and I am stumped.  Grub
documentation seems hard to find and what to do next?  I have heard others
mention a GRUB restore option on the FC install menus and I cannot find such
a thing.  I am reluctant to reformat the root partition because of my home
directory, but why should that matter anyway?  HELP!