How to print man pages on letter size paper

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 00:55:47 UTC 2006

 Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 09:43:45 -0800
> From: Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>
> Subject: How to print man pages on letter size paper
> To: Fedora List <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> When I print a man page by using
>        man -t foo | lpr
> it comes out formatted for A4 size paper.  How can I force
> the output to be for letter size (8-1/2 by 11 in) paper?
>
> This doesn't look as easy as it ought to be.
>
> jon

Hi jon!

Learning how to do this is one of my projects for today - I am glad you
asked.

One way I have found that I like is to do a (for a printout of the
"iptables" manpage):

man iptables | col -b > iptables.txt

This will place a copy of the text of the man page in the working directory
called 'iptables.txt".  Then I use a text editor of choice to edit/view as I
like.  In the case of iptables, the page is 57 pages long so for paper
conservation I will want to print two pages per page (front and back) so OOo
is my choice.

I have noted that others have answered your question more directly.  This
is, however, probably my solution of choice.

Enjoy!

Tod