rpmdb crashed, how to repair? [FC3]

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Sun Feb 5 03:02:01 UTC 2006

Danny Terweij - Net Tuning | Net wrote:
> From: "Sam Varshavchik" <mrsam at courier-mta.com>
>
>>> How do i create a new rpmdb with current installed packages?
>>> Or am i doomed? :)
>
>> An hdd error means - kiss your data good bye.
>
>> Salvage whatever data files you need, take the hard drive and throw it in
>> the trash.
>

> Thats not the answer on  my question :) i have many boxes with....
>
> The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:
>
> Device: /dev/hda, 3 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>
> .....such messages and they still running fine after 2+ years (and have a
> lot data reads/writes)
>
> So now the right answer please :)
>
> Danny.

Even though the initial reply was a little harsh, a valid point is raised.

SMART was designed to help you BEFORE a crash. Well, as much as possible
anyway.

This isn't just a warning "feature" - SMART was specifically designed to
let you save data before impending doom.

Danny, if this box is not important to you, by all means, ignore the
message.

If this box DOES mean something to you - then you really should heed the
advice above. However, before you trash it, I would grab the
manufacturer diagnostic utility (usually a boot floppy). Run the full
barrage of tests.

If it fails in ANY way, then, I'm sorry to say - if the data is
important, you're kidding yourself if you keep using the drive.

Regards,
Ed.