Disable network init on boot?

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Sun Feb 5 17:43:03 UTC 2006

Toralf Lund wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 14:47 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>

>>> I need to be able to start up the system in single user mode at least.
>>>

>> Stick a 1 on the end of the kernel line (edit the GRUB entry by pressing
>> the e key when the GRUB menu appears)
>>

> Obviously, you missed my point. I know how to request single user
> mode. The problem is that the system hangs in the hardware init phase
> i.e. before it even gets to the stage where it would present me with a
> shell in single user.

I found another way that might work in many cases, though: Insert "-b"
instead, for "emergency mode". Unfortunately, this particular PC has a
USB keyboard, and in that mode not even the USB controller is
initialised. *Sigh*... But maybe I can find an USB-to-PS/2 converter...
The alternative is of course to boot from install CD/DVD and start
rescue mode, but I don't have one of those right here, either (and I
don't think it ought to be necessary to resort to this.)