yum installall <repo> ??

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 13:19:44 UTC 2006

Omer Faruk Sen wrote:
> Is there a way that I can install all packages of a repository just like
> up2date --installall --channel redhat-4.0-i386 which installs all packages
> in redhat-4.0-i386 channel?

Depends. The ideal "yum" way would be to put all the packages into a
group (for example development-tools) and then do a
yum groupinstall development-tools
If you don't have control of the repo, that's not practical.

If the repo is self-sufficient, then
yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=extras install \*
will do it. But that won't install dependencies from Core or elsewhere.
(If it's not obvious, replace "extras" with the name of your repository
throughout this e-mail).

You could use
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=extras list available | grep extras | cut -d\  -f1
to list all packages in the repository, and feed that to xargs yum
install. (Note: that's "cut -d\  -f1": cut using whitespace as the
delimiter, first field). But you'll have a problem if you have any
really long package names, as yum list truncates the output.
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=extras list available | grep extras | cut -d\  -f1 | xargs yum install

Ultimately, you could do
yum clean headers
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=extras list available
cd /var/cache/yum/extras/headers/
ls | sed "s/.hdr//" | xargs yum install

Unless the repo is *really* large, that should work.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Let He who Taketh the Plunge
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Remember to Return it by Tuesday.