Can't get X to work with ATI

Samuel Díaz García samueldg at arcoscom.com
Wed Feb 8 08:56:30 UTC 2006

I have xorg working with fglrx driver with some problems before:
  1) You need to expend some time with your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
  2) You need to patch your 8.21.7 driver.

I have a laptop with FC4 and fglrx working fine (hibernating, suspending,
resuming, etc....).

If you want, I can send you my xorg.conf file and my patched fglrx sources
and you can try them.

Regards

Espen Stefansen writes:

> Hi
>
> I recently bought a new dell computer with a ATI x600 graphics-card. I tried
> installing FC4 on it, but a graphical installation is not possible. The
> monitor just goes black and the keyboard doesnt work. A text install on the
> other hand works fine. But booting into X, makes the screen go black again.
>
> Fedora finds both the ati card and my monitor correctly. But no matter what
> i try, everything still goes black. In
> my xorg-log it says something about "screen not found", but i dont
> understand why, since this should be correct.
>
> I've tried the xorg-driver and ati's own driver, but with no luck. The hints
> at fedorafaq.org doesn't help either.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why X won't work?
>
> Regards
> Espen

  Samuel Díaz García
   Director Gerente