Kernel 2.6.15-1.1830 lock-up issues

Nancy Merckle nancym at fellspt.charm.net
Wed Feb 8 18:11:12 UTC 2006

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Claude Jones wrote:

> Installed the new kernel this am, and updated all my modules (fglrx and ntfs,
> plus the vmwareplayer). All seemed well. Returned to the machine some time
> later and it was in screen saver. I have this machine set to require a
> password  to exit screensaver. It took the password and the desktop opened.
> Then, I noticed there was no mouse cursor. Looked at the CPU activity monitor
> and it was pegged at 100%. Waited a long while but to no avail. Was able to
> switch to a console with Ctl-Alt-F1 but before I could log in, I got a kernel
> panic and some messages about being unable to sync. I did a hard reset and
> came back up, and then tried a reboot. The screen switched to black after a
> moment, and the machine hung - no commands accepted, no activity visible on
> the machine, nothing - did another hard reset. Per an earlier message, I
> tried upgrading module-init-tools from updates-testing. Tried another reboot,
> but got the same result again when I tried a shutdown... For now, I've booted
> into the previous kernel.

I think I have similar issues.  First thing I noticed was that udev had
failed.  Then I got messages to the effect of "Buffer I/O error on device
hdb1, logical error" and "dev/hdb1 read failed after 0 of 2048
input/output error. No volume groups found."  Using a live CD I was able
to boot up the system, but my hard drives are not found with the live CD.
I did have the USB drive visible which seems strange.

After a night of searching out stuff on the web, and trying to find the
answer in a linux book here at home, I finally figured out how to
boot into the the previous kernel and am getting the same messages. I
finally got in contact with the guy who helped me upgrade this system
and he's thinking I need to re-install the OS.  I'm afraid I might have a
bad disk.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?  I plan on trying to go back
a few more kernels before giving up to a reinstall.

Thanks,

Nancy

nancym at charm.net  ..... (future) http://www.charm.net/~nancym/
The Kitties Page  ...........  http://members.aol.com/Mysnats/