Slightly OT: Must Linux buy its way onto the desktop?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 9 22:05:02 UTC 2006

Temlakos wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> taharka wrote:

[some stuff about "winning the desktop"]

>> Could someone explain why this is important?
>>
>> Mike
>

> I'll try to explain.
>
> If we ever expect to quit having our local CIO's roll their eyes at us
> when we say that we want /Linux/ desktops and /Linux/ client machines,
> because we know that Linux will cost the company much less overall than
> buying a bunch of Windows boxes, then we'll need some more attractive
> options than:

Ok, you want to use Linux at work, and don't want to do any
work to convince the company it's worthwhile. Ok. For that
situation, though, I suspect that Solaris is a better deal
for a company.

[snip]

> Sure, CIO's often mis-compute Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) by looking
> only at short-term, up-front inconveniences and extra work. Sure, if
> they could see ahead to all the times that our computers /wouldn't/ be
> down, because of the virus that /wouldn't/ get started, they's think
> differently.
>
> But the job will still be a lot easier when the hardware vendors offer
> to pre-install Linux--and better yet, the distribution of /our/
> choice--on a bunch of computers that a given company might purchase all
> at once.

Ok, again, a Sun workstation with Solaris sounds like a better
overall deal to me. But I now see a point.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.