Suggestion please - Binary newsgroup posting software.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Feb 10 16:10:10 UTC 2006

fredex wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:06:13AM -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have searched and checked the major repositories for this but I have
>>not had any luck.
>>
>>I want a program to post multipart, rar'd and yenc encoded files to
>>the alt.binary.* groups.  I would prefer a graphical front end but I
>>have not really found anything that is current.
>

> A long time ago (early '90s) I wrote a csh script (yes, I know
> csh scripts are evil, you don't need to remind me) to uuencode a
> binary and chop it into newsgroup-sized chunks with appropriate
> names. It doesn't actually post, it just leaves you with the postable
> files. But if you'd have any interest I'll dig for it, I may still
> have it around somewhere.

Thanks for the offer.

Actually last night I was playing with newspost and as a CLI, it works
quite well.  It will split the file and create RAR archive files using
the flags.  It will also post multiple files in a directory.  There
are a number of flags that provide some decent options.  It needs to
be updated in some aspects but those are minor issues.  At least it
works for what I want.  Now to get the graphical front-end to work.

There are also many perl options available.  Maybe a chance to learn perl.