Desperate situation

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Feb 11 18:26:31 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 February 2006 12:15 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> I have run into a drive or two that for some reason had problems
> with master/slave jumpering when using two drives, but would work
> fine with CS. I have also run into cases where there are two
> different jumper settings listed for the master drive when using
> a slave, and the one you used depended on the slave drive being
> used. Then again, I can remember when you had to be very
> careful when trying to hook two different brands of drives
> together - you sometimes had to swap master and slave to get
> them to work together. But by the time UDMA-66 drives came out, it
> was not as much of a problem.
>
> The problem with having different master settings depending on the
> slave is still around. You sometime have to look at the drive manual
> or quick start guide to find the alternate settings, but they are
> still around. And it tends to be more common on drives that need
> a jumper changed when you add a slave then drives that only need
> one jumper changed when changing from master to slave to cable
> select. (There is also more then one slave configuration.)

We had this same conversation some months back, with pretty much the same
staunch positions being advocated. I build lots of machines, that's part of
my job. I'm with the above. This has been my experience. Someone stated that
ALL cables are CS now - I'd be curious to see the basis of that info. It's
not been my experience at all. Someone else stated that all drives are being
CS enabled or something to that effect - I buy lots of drives, and that is
not my experience at all, here in the U.S. I think the standard is
increasingly being met, and newer equipment is tending to adhere, but if you
have to deal with a lot of older machines and suppliers, you'll eventually
run into the anomalies descrbed by Mikkel. I have, and so described them some
months back. It was certainly a suggestion worth making to Anne...and as we
see, her results were anomalous, just as Mikkel, and I, have suggested can
be...
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA