Private Mirror/Repository

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Sat Feb 11 22:58:46 UTC 2006

Good afternoon, James,

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, James Pifer wrote:

>>  	I've put together a script to handle mirroring repositories
>> locally.  http://www.stearns.org/yum-pull/ has the script and a howto
>> document on how to set it all up.
>>  	Best of luck!
>
> I'm trying to use your yum-pull script and think I have it mostly set
> up. Trying to do FC4 right now. I will also add CentOS and Suse at some
> point.
>
> Questions for you though. On my FC4 system I have the following
> directories from using yum:
> atrpms
> base
> extras
> freshrpms
> livna
> release
> updates
> updates-released
>
> These all work as parameters of yum-pull except base, release, and
> updates-released. Should I be concerned about this? Is this expected?
> base and updates-released both have RPMs in the packages directory.

 	"base" is either where some of the package indexes are stored or
another name for core.  "updates-released" is the same as "updates" in
yum-pull.  "release", I think, may be another name for "core".
 	Nothing to be concerned about.

> Also, I want to add CentOS 4.2, does specifying ce_4.0_i386 cover it, or
> does the script need to be updated for 4.2?

 	It needed to be updated for centos 4.2.  I've just put out a
version 1.58 which has centos 4.2 as well, although not many repositories
have direct support for it.
 	I don't use all the distributions supported by the script, so I
don't always know the compatibility tricks such as "Centos 3.4 is fully
compatible with RHEL 3", allowing yum-pull to pull down any rhel3
repositories for centos 3.4 as well.  If anyone knows of compatible
distributions like those, I can do the work to make yum-pull smarter.

> Also, do you know where to get netatalk for CentOS 4? That's what I'm
> running this on.

 	Ah, Redhat Enterprise (and therefore whitebox and centos) doesn't
seem to include it.  My best guess would be to try pulling down and
installing a fedora core 4, 3 or 2 netatalk.
 	If none of those install cleanly, you could recompile the SPRM on
your system, or simply not install it at all.  The only thing you'll miss
is the "timeout" program which kills off lftp after a few hours (so the
script won't hang forever if an ftp server becomes unresponsive).
yum-pull will recognize that timout isn't installed and just run lftp
directly.
 	Cheers,
 	- Bill

         "Revolutions do not require corporate support."
(Courtesy of Matthew Wilcox <willy at debian.org>)