Why are these ports open in iptables on new FC4 install?

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 01:02:38 UTC 2006

Scot L. Harris wrote:

> Does the 631 port need to be open for this to be accessible over the
> loop back address?

No.  I used the loopback example only to show you what's sitting at the
end of port 631.

> I have removed these as well.  The question was, is there a reason these
> were opened up during a new install?

I don't know of a reason, but I'm not really plugged in to the internal
workings of Fedora development and release management.  I'm just a
grunt.  Happily, however, I've found this list is from time to time
visited by Fedora intelligentsia, one of whom might step in and reveal
all in the instant matter.

Jay