Firefox's Saved Passwords

Bill Perkins perk at iag.net
Sun Feb 12 15:34:49 UTC 2006

John Summerfied wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 22:33 -0500, Bill Perkins wrote:
>>

>>> Ok, I found signons.txt, and copied it to the new .mozilla directory,
>>> in the equivalent spot. It seems I've still got something missing,
>>> though, as after copying and bringing up firefox, it still doesn't
>>> know about the saved passwords. Any idea on what switch I should flip
>>> in about:config or wherever to get it to realize there is new data in
>>> there?
>>

>> How about saving some new passwords at some site, checking for where
>> it's now saving that data, and substituting your old file for the recent
>> one.
>>
> It's perfectly possible the format has changed. This _must_ happen when
> functionality is extended.

Looks like the format has changed, but the hash used may be combined
with that funky xxxxxxxx.default directory everything lands in, which is
combined with profiles.ini... what a mess! I suppose there are good
reasons to be doing things this way... maybe if I take the old
profiles.ini, and the old .default directory name, and plunk them into
.mozilla/firefox/, I can get everything back. Apparently, when I fired
up firefox 1.5.0.1, _something_ got changed in the profile directory
which causes a panic in firefox 1.0.7

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
  universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.