Firefox's Saved Passwords (SOLVED)

Bill Perkins perk at iag.net
Sun Feb 12 20:45:56 UTC 2006

Bill Perkins wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Bill Perkins wrote:
>>> Looks like the format has changed, but the hash used may be combined
>>> with that funky xxxxxxxx.default directory everything lands in, which is
>>> combined with profiles.ini... what a mess! I suppose there are good
>>> reasons to be doing things this way... maybe if I take the old
>>> profiles.ini, and the old .default directory name, and plunk them into
>>> .mozilla/firefox/, I can get everything back. Apparently, when I fired
>>> up firefox 1.5.0.1, _something_ got changed in the profile directory
>>> which causes a panic in firefox 1.0.7
>>>
>> The first time you ran 1.5.0.1, it probably upgraded the file to the
>> new format. When you go back to 1.0.7 it has a problem with the new
>> format. This is just a guess, but it is fairly normal procedure when
>> upgrading. That is why it is usually a good idea to back things up
>> before doing an upgrade.
>
> Format seems to be the same, just encrypted slightly differently.
>
>> As for not being able to just grab the old password file, and plunk
>> it into a new directory, and have it work, I consider that a good
>> thing. You should have to restore the entire configuration. It makes
>> it harder for someone to grab my password file and use it. (Having
>> a master password set is also a good idea...) This is especially
>> true because the password file is not a one-way hash, so you can get
>> the original password out of it. (Necessary because of the way the
>> passwords are used - you have to send the original password, not a
>> hash of it.)
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> Good point! Didn't think of that, myself. Fortunately, nothing major was
> lost, and I can always change passwords at the sites where I use them.

Thank you to all who responded, you got me on the right track! The
problem was one of the extensions had been updated with FF-1.5.0.1, and
was giving FF-1.0.7 fits. So, I removed the extensions directory, and
re-installed the few that I use (noscript, forecastfox, popupmaster, and
spoofstick). The reason went back to older firefox was because
spoofstick didn't work under 1.5, and Thunderbird couldn't bring up the
browser when I clicked on a link in an email. If anybody knows of a good
replacement for spoofstick for 1.5, and knows how to get Thunderbird to
place nice again, I'd be interested in hearing about them. Thanks again!

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
  universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.