Automatic update

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Feb 12 21:21:05 UTC 2006

Anthony Messina wrote:

-pmr

> yum has a service for nightly update in fc4 (and maybe others). why
> don't you edit the associated scripts to only download the packages, not
> install them?  that would be the identical behavior that ms allows, or
> you could choose to have them automatically applied by just enabling the
> current service.  as another writer mentioned, you kernel is never
> updated per se.  the new one is just installed and /etc/grub.conf is
> changed to boot into the new one, but your old kernel stays safe and sound.

Making the new one bootable is certain to create a system that will not
boot, shutdown or fail in some other way without manual intervention. It
happened several times during the life of FC3 to my certain knowledge, I
believe it happened to many with FC4 and it almost certainly will happen
during the life of FC5.

Installing new kernels is fine. Automatically making them bootable is
not, and that's not taking into account those who wish to boot something
altogether different, such as Windows, FreeBSD or Another Distro.

New kernels will mostly work for most; many had problems with FC3
kernels and USB. New hardware (mobos, SCSI, yoy name it) is likely to
give grief. People who must build their own wireless or infernal modem
drivers are adversely affected. I rebuild to include NTFS so I need the
source, not the binaries while others download the NTFS binaries.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait