Automatic update

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Feb 12 22:50:07 UTC 2006

Jeremy Thompson wrote:
> On 2/12/06, John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>>Jeremy Thompson wrote:
>>

>>><newb>
>>>
>>>I thought the NTFS drivers were included in the kernel now.  Why would
>>
>>you
>>
>>>roll your own?
>>>
>>></newb>
>>
>>Not in FC3: the source is there, not the binaries. Try this on your
>>system:
>>modinfo ntfs
>

> K Thanks.  I am running FC4 though!  Why still run 3?

a1. Why update to FC4 when FC5 is almost here?
a2. Isn't the rate of updates on FC4 a little high for stability?
a3. What new features do I need? Where I have it installed, it works.

One system I maintain is still running RHL 7.3. It has been working for
years, it gets updates from Fedora Legacy, I get to laugh at those who
try to crack it. Upgrading involves migrating the mail services (the
software in use does not appear in any likely replacement), downtime and
the likelihood I'll get it wrong. We like the alternative - it keeps
working until the hardware dies. Then we do something. We know it will
be inconvenient at that time, but we also think that time is years away yet.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait