Desperate situation

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 13 17:39:06 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 16:23 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
>
>>If you are jumpering the drives any way except as cable select (cs)
>>then you may encounter problems when using them on a CS cable.  You
>>*will* encounter problems if a drive jumpered for master is connected
>>to the slave connector, and vice versa.  You *may* encounter problems
>>with a drive jumpered as master and connected to the master connector
>>or when jumpered as slave and connected to the slave connector (I have
>>seen this myself).
>

> You will ONLY have problems if you try mixing a drive set for cable
> select with one that's not.  You will NOT have any problems putting two
> drives each jumpered as slave and master on a cable select cable in

This is not quite my experience. As I mentioned, Connor drives used
to be notorious as not running as slave to other brands of drives.

Also, I don't like running a hard disc as a slave to a slower device,
like a CDROM. In me experience, it can lead to timing problems on
the cable.

> either of the master or slave positions.  All a cable select cable does
> is jumper or open pins on the IDE connector, just the same as you'd do
> with the jumpers next to it.  It makes no difference to the data in the
> cable, and drives pay no attention to the cable select pins unless
> they're jumpered to do so (or are badly designed).
>
> Just about all high-speed ATA cables are cable select cables, it's
> almost impossible to find ones that aren't.  Using one doesn't force you
> to jumper your drives to be cable selected.

That's what the spec says. I dunno why someone else commented that
using a CS cable with M/S jumpered drives could cause a problem.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.