Delivery time expiration

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon Feb 13 20:14:06 UTC 2006

At 5:10 AM +1030 2/13/06, Tim wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 16:15 +0100, Antonio Montagnani wrote:
>> Why sometimes do I receive this message from my ISP's mail server
>> related to some e-mail to fedora-list and the e-mail is not
>> delivered??
>> It happens only with fedora-list
>
>Specifically, I think you get it with the Fedora list because of one of
>it's anti-spam techniques (grey listing):  Rejecting some mail, for the
>moment, for it to be re-sent in a while.  Normal mail servers will do
>that, spammers won't.
>
>In general, it means that the mail couldn't be delivered at that time,
>for one reason or another (e.g. the server was too busy, the in box was
>full, etc.), and that it should be sent again, a while later.  After
>some time of being unable to send a message, and probably after a
>certain number of attempts, the mail server would declare it to be
>undeliverable.  It appears that yours doesn't have enough patience.

This can happen with greylisting if your MSP has multiple outgoing servers
and uses a different one for each try.  Each time it will get a new
greylisting, and none of the attempts will succeed the first time.  If
there are enough outgoing servers, then the message may time out before
getting back to a server that already attempted the message (and would pass
greylisting this time).

I wonder if greylisting pays any attention to MX records?  (I just don't
wonder enough to look for myself.)